How To Setup A VPN On Xbox One
I can think of a few reasons as to why you would want to set up a VPN on your Xbox One or Xbox Series console. The most common reason for this is, people value their privacy and prefer if they cannot be tracked online. That brings up the question, how do you set up a VPN on an Xbox One or Xbox series S/X?
There are two methods of setting up a VPN on your Xbox One. The first method is to set up your VPN directly on your router and all of your devices will then use the VPN including your Xbox. The second method is to connect your Xbox to your PC that has a VPN, via an ethernet cable.
In today’s article, we are going to discuss both of those methods in detail and we will give you a step-by-step guide on how to accomplish both of these methods. As an added bonus, we will discuss whether or not it is worth it to use a VPN on your Xbox One. So, for everything you need to know, keep reading.
Can You Use A VPN On Your Xbox One Or Xbox Series S/X?
Because the Xbox One or even the Xbox Series consoles have no options for you to run the console through VPN, most people naturally assume that this cannot be done. Well, in this section, we are going to take a look if that is true.
It is possible to use a VPN while using your Xbox One however, setting all of this up is not as easy as it is when you are doing it on a PC, Mac, or mobile phone. It actually requires quite a bit of technical know-how.
That leads us into our next section where we will take a look at exactly how to set up a VPN for your Xbox console.
How To Use A VPN On Your Xbox One Or Xbox Series S/X
There are two methods that you can use to run your Xbox through a VPN. Both of these methods might require quite a lot of know-how but with all of that being said, I will discuss the best method first.
The best method of connecting your Xbox to run through a VPN is to force your router to always use the VPN. This has a lot of advantages and some slight disadvantages.
How To Use A VPN On Your Xbox Through Your Router
Most modern routers have VPN functionality built into them. What this means is, it makes it easy for you to set up your specific VPN provider to your router.
If your router does not have this functionality, you will have to call your ISP and they will walk you through the steps of configuring it manually.
Whether or not you are able to configure it manually depends on your router and your ISP.
For now, let’s go through a step-by-step guide on how to set up a VPN to run directly through your router.
- Make sure that you have a VPN and are logged into it via your PC.
- Open your preferred internet browser on your PC.
- Log in to your router via your browser. You could get help from your ISP if you don’t know your credentials. The default is USERNAME: ADMIN and the PASSWORD is PASSWORD. This is a default though.
- From here, the steps depend on your router. You should be able to see a page called “VPN” or “VPN setup”. Select one of these options.
- Follow the setup wizard and select your specific VPN provider and log in.
As I mentioned, this is the best way for you to use a VPN on your Xbox. The reason for this is if you set up a VPN on your router, every single device that is connected to that router will use a VPN.
Once we have discussed how to use a VPN on your Xbox using another method, you will understand why this is the best method.
With all of that being said, you might run into problems during the setup. It is important to remember that there are people that will help you such as your internet service provider and the router should have a customer support number.
Once you get through these headaches, all of your devices or run through the VPN.
Connect Your Xbox To Your PC And Use A VPN
In this section, we will go through a step-by-step guide on how to connect your Xbox to your PC in order to use it through a VPN.
This is not the best method because you will now depend upon your PC in order to use your Xbox online. With that said, there is a step-by-step guide on how to connect your Xbox to your PC to use a VPN.
- Make sure that you have an Ethernet cable. Cat5e and Car6 cables are the best.
- Make sure that your PC is connected to a VPN.
- Disconnect your Xbox From your network.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to your Xbox.
- Connect the other side of the Ethernet cable to your PC.
- On your windows 10 PC, select Start >> Settings >> Network & Internet.
- In the side menu, select VPN.
- On the right of the screen, you will see an option called “Change Adapter Options”. Select it. A new window will open.
- In the new window, you will see your VPN. Right-click on it and select “Properties”. A small window will appear.
- In the new window, select the “Sharing” tab.
- Make sure that you check the checkbox that says “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection”.
- In that same window, you should see a box that says “Select a private network connection”. Click it and in the drop-down, select your Xbox.
- On your Xbox, check the connection and test it.
Wow, that may seem like a lot of steps but trust me, once you start going through it, it doesn’t take that long at all. The biggest downside to this is the fact that your computer constantly needs to be running and your Xbox needs to be connected to the computer via the Ethernet cable.
This can be a tough ask for most people especially younger gamers who don’t have access or, at least, constant access to a PC. That’s why this method for me, although it is easier to set up, is harder to maintain than the first method we discussed.
Is It Worth It To Use A VPN For Xbox?
This is a great question. I would say that it is worth knowing how to do it and you should at least try and do it if you can, but ultimately, no, there are very few benefits to running your Xbox console through a VPN. This is of course unless you are very concerned about privacy.
If you manage to use the first step-by-step guide we discussed then it might be worth it because, in my opinion, it is worth it to run all of your devices through a VPN.
An added benefit of the first method is that your Xbox will automatically run through the VPN that is set up on your router so, in that sense, it could be worth it.
That brings us to the end of this article and hopefully, we helped you make a decision on whether or not you should connect your Xbox One or Xbox SeriesS/X to a PC. If you do, hopefully, we helped you with our step-by-step guides so that you can do it with ease.